It was originally extracted from Streptomyces nodosus, a filamentous bacterium, in 1955, at the Squibb Institute for Medical Research from cultures of an undescribed streptomycete abandoned from the clay calm in the Orinoco River arena of Venezuela. Two antifungal substances were abandoned from the clay culture, Amphotericin A and Amphotericin B, but B had bigger antifungal activity. For decades it remained it the alone able analysis for invasive fungal ache until the development of the azole antifungals in the aboriginal 1980s.
Its complete stereo anatomy was bent in 1970 by an X-ray anatomy of the N-iodoacetyl derivative. The aboriginal amalgam of the compound’s by itself occurring enantiomeric anatomy was accomplished in 1988.